What’s your say on this?
from manila bulletin online: Logging didn’t cause disaster in Aurora town – Punongbayan : Former Phivolcs chief Raymundo Punongbayan said that the recent “flash floods” which devastated barangay Paltic, the most populated village of Dingalan town which lies at the foot of the Sierra Madre, should not be blamed on logging activities.
Punongbayan, who conducted a study on the natural features of the area where an avalanche took place, said that a portion of the mountain range was deeply eroded, indicating that a huge volume of water caused the “flash floods” that set off massive landslides.
Most of the trees that rolled from the mountain had the root systems intact, indicating the uprooting of the trees from loose, water-saturated soil, said Punongbayan, a veteran geologist.
Personally, i think it would be very hard to explain to the people of Dingalan especially those whose houses were destroyed and family members were killed by clear-cut (chainsawed) logs.
- The 10 Things You Missed When You Went to Baler - August 7, 2016
- 4 Baler Tourist Spots That are Not Located in Baler - May 16, 2016
- Historical Data of Casiguran 1952 - January 30, 2016
- How to Get to Baler - May 1, 2015
- Aurora Day 2015 Events - February 4, 2015
- Christmas @ The Capitol - December 9, 2014
- Google Earth – Baler 2014 - December 7, 2014
- Jose Johann Bitancor – 2nd Solo Exhibition - December 4, 2014
- Aurora NGP Week Photo Contest - December 3, 2014
- National Greening Program Aurora Week Starts Today - December 1, 2014