Powered by Max Banner Ads

Hilong Talilong

I just found out that there’s really a thing called Talilong. I thought it’s just an invented word for the phrase Hilong Talilong, which means a person in disoriented mode. With a little help from Google, i found out that talilong is the common Tagalog term for the fish called mullet. It is an “edible fish of the family Mugilidae found worldwide in tropical and temperate coastal waters and some freshwater streams”. the scientific name is Liza Macrolepsis. (from this site)

And this plant, according to two reliable drinkmates is also called Talilong or Talelong Talilung. They say it’s good for sinigang or nilaga. It is also used as pig chow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

comments

This entry was posted in Foods, Links. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Hilong Talilong

1. Poppo Olag says:

It’s talinung, not talilong or talelong.

2. Vaveski says:

ang alam ko, TALILONG ang tawag sa halaman na yan, masarap sa sinigang na isda at sa ginisang mungo. yung namayapa kong lola ang nagpakilala sa akin ng gulay na talilong (actually, damo lang yata yan ay)

3. rose says:

talilung or talilong is easy to propagate thru stem cutting. i have continuous supply of this from my terrace garden in las piñas. planted in a garden pot. it is best with monggo, sinigang pork, shrimp, or chicken. it is really a good replacement od expensive kangkong, dahon ng sili or spinatch. the same as alugbati, it is rich in vitamin C and fiber. go and plant talilong for your health and economic benefits…..

4. Buguy says:

Share ku laang kid. Ditu sa state “gulay” pala iyung dahong “lit-lit” na inihahalu sa “nga-nga”. Iyung nga-nga ng matata-tanda at ka-tribu na pag dumoprak ay ma-fula. De ku laang alam kung pa-paanu lutuin. Asset maitanung kay po-po Olag. Sa Indian store ku nakita.

5. barok says:

Marami niyan sa tabi nang munisipyo nang Baler nung bata ako – about 40 years ago. natatandaan ko doon ako namimitas pauwi galing sa “public” patungong Duungan noong araw. Masarap ihalo sa sinigang na sariwang isda. Nag-evolve siguro yung pangalan from talinong to talilong as the years went by.

6. gloria says:

wow! isipin na lang na it’s ignored as an edible food for humans back when I was a child even considered as fit only for pigs. It has evolved as nutritious as can be. I was fortunate enough to have a friend here in the US share her plants with me. To this day I still grow it in my backyard and needless to say I enjoy eating talilong tremendously!