Maria Cruz – Australia-based artist and daughter of Engr. and Mrs. Pablo Cruz from Baler, Aurora (owner of Amihan Hotel) has an ongoing exhibit titled “coins” at Galleria Duemila, 210 Loring St., Pasay City, Philippines. The exhibit is until December 31, 2006.
The map to the location is here. For the lazy and not in the city, there’s an online version of the exhibit here. The photo on the left was taken from the Galleria Duemila website. More info after the jump.
from the Museum Foundation of the Philippines website:
Maria Cruz is a leading Filipino-Australian contemporary visual artist; she completed Fine Arts degree at the University of Sto Tomas then moved to Australia where she pursued further studies in painting at East Sydney Tech and Sydney College of the Arts. She also attended the Staatliche Kunstakademie in Dusseldorf, Germany.
She has been exhibited widely that includes in the Word Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney and participated in the Biennale of Sydney Satellite exhibition. Her numerous awards and residencies, includes the PS1 International Studio Program in New York (2000-01), Karl Hoffer Gesselschaft, International Studio in Berlin, 2005. She currently lives and works in Sydney, Australia.
Maria is in the country and one of the exhibiting artists at Galleria Duemila this month. She is giving a talk about her art practice and her current exhibition â€œCoinsâ€ an installation of coin imprints and word paintings and drawings.
Back in 1987 when I was still in high school, we attended this painting contest at Baler Central School called Kulayan ’87. It was organized by Baler Art Group headed by Jeho Bitancor. Maria Cruz was the judge. My classmate Joseph “Kolog” Morada won first prize, me second, and Donnel Gomez, third. Donnel was the only one who pursued a career in the arts. The three of us are still drinking buddies.
- The 10 Things You Missed When You Went to Baler - August 7, 2016
- 4 Baler Tourist Spots That are Not Located in Baler - May 16, 2016
- Historical Data of Casiguran 1952 - January 30, 2016
- How to Get to Baler - May 1, 2015
- Aurora Day 2015 Events - February 4, 2015
- Christmas @ The Capitol - December 9, 2014
- Google Earth – Baler 2014 - December 7, 2014
- Jose Johann Bitancor – 2nd Solo Exhibition - December 4, 2014
- Aurora NGP Week Photo Contest - December 3, 2014
- National Greening Program Aurora Week Starts Today - December 1, 2014