February 14, 2007. The day’s main event is a double feature, the combined Drum & Lyre (marching band) and CAT-1 (Citizen’s Army Training) competitions. This is one of the most watched event of the Aurora Day celebrations and features marching bands and model platoons from different elementary and high schools in the Province competing for the different titles and top prizes. The Baler Fiesta version of this competition has been going on for decades that it has become part of the town’s cultural history. The names ofÂ some of the people involved with this event like Mr. Dan Nieva, Tumo Cuento and Alfons Sotero have become synonymous with theÂ event that it would be unthinkable toÂ see this competition happening without them.
Link to pictures after the jump
The Â event started with a parade from the Baler Municipal Plaza to the Provincial Capitol. Competition started immediately with the CAT-1 platoons of different schools showing off their skills in military drills and situational problem solving. The drum & lyre competition started after lunch. I’ll still check with Tumo to get the list of winners.
There’s also an eveningÂ Valentine Magic at the Park event at the Quzon Memorial Park. It was organized by the Aurora Hotels, Restaurants and Resorts Owners Association. It is basically a dinner date setting with four close up magicians roaming the tables and occassionaly performing on stage to show their mind-boggling magics. The magicians were imported from Manila. It was a sold-out event and one of the surprise hits of the Aurora Day celebration. Unfortunately,Â I wasn’t there to cover it. I was already dressed up for the occasion whenÂ I sat in a sofa for a while. Next thing i know it’s already 4 in the morning. That’s valentine magic for me.
Click on slideshow below to see the pictures:
- The 10 Things You Missed When You Went to Baler - August 7, 2016
- 4 Baler Tourist Spots That are Not Located in Baler - May 16, 2016
- Historical Data of Casiguran 1952 - January 30, 2016
- How to Get to Baler - May 1, 2015
- Aurora Day 2015 Events - February 4, 2015
- Christmas @ The Capitol - December 9, 2014
- Google Earth – Baler 2014 - December 7, 2014
- Jose Johann Bitancor – 2nd Solo Exhibition - December 4, 2014
- Aurora NGP Week Photo Contest - December 3, 2014
- National Greening Program Aurora Week Starts Today - December 1, 2014