Today is the 58th death anniversary of Aurora Aragon-Quezon, wife of president and original Batang Baler Manuel L. Quezon. Aurora province was named in her honor.
On April 28, 1949 as she was on her way to inaugurate the Quezon Memorial Hospital in her home town of Baler, Aurora Quezon, her eldest daughter Ma. Aurora, son-in-law Felipe Buencamino III, Quezon City Mayor Ponciano Bernardo and several others were ambushed and killed by renegade members of the Hukbalahap, in Bongabon, Nueva Ecija Province. Her death shocked the nation. Time Magazine, in 1949, had remarked that â€œthousands of Filipinos regard her as a combination queen-mother and patron saint.â€
Last year, a commemorative program, “Parangal kay DoÃ±a Aurora” was held at Baler Central School coinciding with the yearly Aurora Day celebrations. In attendance were Mrs. Zeneida “Nini” Quezon AvanceÃ±a and her son Ricky AvanceÃ±a and their relatives in Baler as well as different national and local government officials and residents of the province. A short documentary titled “Si DoÃ±a Aurora Aragon-Quezon sa Kanyang Bayang Baler’ was presented during the program.
Here’s the documentary:
- The 10 Things You Missed When You Went to Baler - August 7, 2016
- 4 Baler Tourist Spots That are Not Located in Baler - May 16, 2016
- Historical Data of Casiguran 1952 - January 30, 2016
- How to Get to Baler - May 1, 2015
- Aurora Day 2015 Events - February 4, 2015
- Christmas @ The Capitol - December 9, 2014
- Google Earth – Baler 2014 - December 7, 2014
- Jose Johann Bitancor – 2nd Solo Exhibition - December 4, 2014
- Aurora NGP Week Photo Contest - December 3, 2014
- National Greening Program Aurora Week Starts Today - December 1, 2014