Parehong mula sa inquirer.net:
CATHOLIC BISHOP ROLANDO Tria Tirona, head of the Prelature of Infanta, has been deputized by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources to oversee two environmental watchdog bodies to fight illegal logging in the Sierra Madre mountain ranges.
In a press release posted at the DENR website Wednesday, Environment Secretary Lito Atienza disclosed the appointment of Tirona as â€˜co-chairâ€™ of the two newly created multipartite teams (MPT) to help combat the rampant illegal logging.
In 1971, Oscar Gendrano was a young forester on a mission in Casiguran, Quezon. His mission: Cut down as much timber as he could and bring them home to Manila where the once-towering trees would be trimmed into matchsticks.
Armed with brand-new power saws, he arrived on the dazzling white shores of St. Ildelfonso Point, where he was met by tall, kinky-haired black men in loincloths. They were the Dumagat, a gentle and hardworking people who had lived by the sea long before the Spaniards came to Philippine shores, and certainly long before he got there like a conquering Magellan with not a sword but a power saw.
But that was all it took to convert these gentle natives into power saw-wielding loggers who agreed to cut trees and haul them to shore on their shouldersâ€”all for cigarettes and bottles of Siok Tong.
Ancient â€˜baliteâ€™ tree battles for life in Aurora
A â€œbaliteâ€ tree, carbon-dated to be between 400 and 600 years old and said to be among the oldest and biggest in Asia, has suffered from human abuse, as the Aurora provincial government and a family in Maria Aurora town try to settle a row over management of a park where the tree stands.
â€œUmaakyat ang mga tao. Inuukit pa nila pangalan nila. Nasasaktan ang puno (People climb it. They also carve their names on it. The tree is hurt),â€ Onassis Ronquillo, barangay chair of Quirino, said of the tourist-drawing natural wonder in his village at the foothills of the Sierra Madre.
- The 10 Things You Missed When You Went to Baler - August 7, 2016
- 4 Baler Tourist Spots That are Not Located in Baler - May 16, 2016
- Historical Data of Casiguran 1952 - January 30, 2016
- How to Get to Baler - May 1, 2015
- Aurora Day 2015 Events - February 4, 2015
- Christmas @ The Capitol - December 9, 2014
- Google Earth – Baler 2014 - December 7, 2014
- Jose Johann Bitancor – 2nd Solo Exhibition - December 4, 2014
- Aurora NGP Week Photo Contest - December 3, 2014
- National Greening Program Aurora Week Starts Today - December 1, 2014