from BusinessWorld Online:
Baler, a quaint town in the heart of Aurora, will open its doors to the nation for the celebration of its town fiesta, culminated by a zarzuela titled Baler ng Puso Ko on Aug. 12-15 at the Baler Sports Complex, with the gala performance to be staged on the last day.
The zarzuela, featuring the libretto of Isagani Cruz and the original music composition of Lutgardo Labad, is a creative merging of fact and fiction.
In his playwrightâ€™s notes, Mr. Cruz refers to Baler ng Puso Ko as a work of speculative theater, which is to theater what speculative fiction is to literature. “[This] is my attempt to create an alternate history, with mythological characters changing what we know to be true. In a magical realist country like the Philippines, history is merely a pale imitation of literature,” he said.
I was at the rehearsal last night at the Baler Sports Complex and from the few numbers I have seen, I believe it would be quite an experience for the local audience. This is the first time that a play like this would be staged in Aurora so don’t miss it. There are also local talents in the cast. Balerian Metz Espinosa is also with the production team. The play will have four stagings starting tonight up to Saturday, August 15.
- The 10 Things You Missed When You Went to Baler - August 7, 2016
- 4 Baler Tourist Spots That are Not Located in Baler - May 16, 2016
- Historical Data of Casiguran 1952 - January 30, 2016
- How to Get to Baler - May 1, 2015
- Aurora Day 2015 Events - February 4, 2015
- Christmas @ The Capitol - December 9, 2014
- Google Earth – Baler 2014 - December 7, 2014
- Jose Johann Bitancor – 2nd Solo Exhibition - December 4, 2014
- Aurora NGP Week Photo Contest - December 3, 2014
- National Greening Program Aurora Week Starts Today - December 1, 2014