On August 19, 2013, in time with the 135th Birth Anniversary of the Star of Baler Manuel L. Quezon and the Baler Fiesta, Banak, Inc launched the book Ak’kaw Poppo – Talaan ng mga Salitang Baler, a dictionary of Baler words compiled by Olag Selaznog. I believe this is the first published collection of unique words that we use exclusively in Baler. The earliest known collection of Baler words was made by Damian Amazona in the 50s and reportedly his manuscript is still extant at the National Archives. Poppo Olag Selaznog (Galo Gonzales) has been compiling his list since he left Baler in the 50s. Batangbaler also has an online dictionary of Baler words since 2002. The 88-page booklet also features list of unique expressions we use in Baler like Are! and Akkaw! and a foreword by Mrs. Zeneida “Nini” Quezon Avanceña.
The book publisher Baler Aurora Ngayon Angkan at Kasaysayan (Banak, Inc.) is a non-stock, non-profit organization that consists of individuals who trace their roots to Baler, Aurora. Its members are bound by a common desire to learn about, document and preserve Baler’s colorful history, culture and genealogy. Yours truly, Kidlat, is a member of Banak, Inc.
The book is available for P200.00 at 43 Quezon Street (opposite NorFil Gas Station), Barangay Suklayin, Baler, Aurora. Look for Enick Valenzuela.
- The 10 Things You Missed When You Went to Baler - August 7, 2016
- 4 Baler Tourist Spots That are Not Located in Baler - May 16, 2016
- Historical Data of Casiguran 1952 - January 30, 2016
- How to Get to Baler - May 1, 2015
- Aurora Day 2015 Events - February 4, 2015
- Christmas @ The Capitol - December 9, 2014
- Google Earth – Baler 2014 - December 7, 2014
- Jose Johann Bitancor – 2nd Solo Exhibition - December 4, 2014
- Aurora NGP Week Photo Contest - December 3, 2014
- National Greening Program Aurora Week Starts Today - December 1, 2014